Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services: Criss Cole Rehabilitation Center
4800 North Lamar, CCRC
Austin Texas 1 78756
(512) 377 0300
The Criss Cole Rehabilitation Center (CCRC) within the DARS Division for Blind Services is a comprehensive vocational rehabilitation training facility working in partnership with consumers to help them achieve their employment and independent living goals. Serving as a residential adult training facility in Austin, CCRC offers comprehensive training in core skills such as orientation and mobility (O&M), Braille, Daily Living Skills/Career Development, Technology, Adjustment to Blindness Seminar, and advanced career guidance.
- Provides assessment in areas of basic blindness skills.
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Provides overviews, tours, training on site for professionals in rehabilitation and education regarding services and techniques for working with blind adults. Serves as consultant to provide training to nursing homes and other care facilities upon request.
- CCRC vocational rehabilitation counselors work in partnership with consumers to develop a plan for individualized training. At regular intervals in the training period, the consumer, CCRC counselor, and Field counselor participate in program reviews to assure that training is on track and the consumer is making progress towards stated goals. Ancillary service coordinated by CCRC counselors include vocational/psychological and individualized counseling services.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Training services are offered using visual and non-visual techniques. Blindfolds are used in non-visual training as a tool to maximize immersion in the structured discovery approach to learning basic blindness skills. Visual training is offered to maximize the use of vision. Training programs include the following basic blindness skills: travel, braille, daily living, communication, technology, career guidance, college prep, industrial arts, and seminar. Technology training includes Keyboarding, Windows, Word Processing, Email, Internet, Excel, Power Point, Android and iOS devices.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides career guidance services in areas of vocational exploration, job seeking skills, and community work experience.
- Health Services
- Offers health education, first aid, and diabetes life management.
- Low Vision Devices
- Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Low Vision Services
- Consumers at CCRC with an acuity of light perception or better have the opportunity to meet with the low vision coordinator to evaluate and discuss their low vision needs and the services offered by the Low Vision Department.
- Professional Training
- Provides immersion training, workshops, seminars to newly hired staff and agency staff of the Division for Blind Services as well as to staff of other agencies and the public related to issues of blindness.
- Recreation Services
- Provides recreation training and activities for students, including PC classes, pottery, bowling, swimming, hiking, ROPES courses, self-defense classes, rock climbing, and tubing.
- Services for Seniors
- Offers independent living services for seniors.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.