Santa Clara Valley Blind Center
101 North Bascom Avenue
San Jose California 1 95128
(408) 295 4016
For more than 50 years, SCVBC has provided support to individuals facing the uncertainties, fears, and challenges related to uncorrectable vision loss. SCVBC is a community-based organization dedicated to increasing the confidence, independence, and quality of life of the blind and visually impaired. SCVBC tackles complex vision loss issues comprehensively through rehabilitative, educational, and recreational services that ensure the long-term independence and empowerment of our clients.
Judy Arvidson, COO/Interim Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, 408 295 4016 ext.213
Trish Foley, Rehab Services Instructor - O&M/LVL, email@example.com, 408 295 4016 ext.219
Dawn Haskin, Program Service Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 408 295 4016 ext.202
- Assistive Products
- Sells white canes, talking watches and clocks, braille paper, and large print games.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Provides braille instruction through client volunteers.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers training in the use of accessible technology and computer training (Apple and PC platforms) for blind or visually impaired users
- Provides a wide variety of individual and or/family/support counseling for vision impaired clients.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Offers classes in Living with Vision Loss, Adjusting to Vision Loss, support groups.
- Offers low impact exercised classes and walking groups.
- In-Home Services
- In-home services by Rehab Staff to provide safety instruction within the home.
- Reading Services
- In-home Volunteers are available as readers to help clients with mail and paperwork.
- Recreation Services
- Provides a wide spectrum of recreational, social, and therapeutic activities that encourage socialization, independence, and increased quality of life for our clients. Activities include yoga, low impact aerobics, outings, luncheons, sewing, ceramics, pottery, and more!
- Services for Seniors
- Support Groups
- Offers support groups at agency.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Offers one-on-one training in proper long cane use, Guide Dog and guide techniques. Instructor assesses client's home for safety and ease of functioning.