New York State Office of Children and Family Services: Commission for the Blind
52 Washington Street
Rensselaer New York 1 12144
(518) 474 6812
The mission of the New York State Commission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped (CBVH) is to enhance employability, to maximize independence, and to assist in the development of the capacities and strengths of people who are legally blind.
CBVH provides vocational rehabilitation and other direct services to legally blind New York State residents, including children, adults, and elderly persons.
One of CBVH's primary objectives is to assist consumers in achieving economic self-sufficiency and full integration into society. CBVH offers these services from seven district offices across the state. CBVH works closely with not-for-profit agencies for the blind throughout New York State to provide technical, educational and resource assistance to our consumers.
Tracy Brelin, OIB Program Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Brian Daniels, Associate Commissioner, email@example.com
- Provides comprehensive assessment to determine service needs of individuals.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers braille instruction.
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Works closely with not-for-profit agencies for the blind throughout New York State to provide technical, educational and resource assistance to consumers.
- Vocational rehabilitation counselors are available to provide counseling and guidance.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in activities of daily living, including home management, personal management, communication, travel, and adaptive skills.
- Employment/Job Training
- Offers guidance and counseling to assist visually impaired and blind consumers find or retain employment.
- Low Vision Devices
- Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Low Vision Services
- Low Vision Services are provided as part of an individualized plan for employment and are designed to assist individuals who are visually impaired to make the best use of their remaining vision and enable them to perform tasks at home, school, or work.
- Reading Services
- Offers interpreter services and reader services.
- Services for Seniors
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Offers O&M training.