Blind Rehabilitation Service: Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center
2002 Holcombe Blvd
Houston Texas 1 77030
(713) 794 7532
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Computer instruction provided by an instructor who is versed in the area of adaptive technology. Assesses and provides training in the use of adaptive software that promotes independence in reading and writing with a computer.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Assesses and provides individualized training in the use of adaptive techniques and devices to promote independence in daily activities.
- Low Vision Services
- Low vision optometry evaluation provided by a licensed Optometrist, specializing in low vision. Assesses current eye conditions and level of visual functioning and prescribes glasses and other optical devices.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Orientation and mobility (O&M) provided by a Certified O&M Specialist. Assess Veteran’s ability to maneuver safely and independently within the home and community. Training may include: Sighted guide techniques, use of a white cane, safe traveling in the community, and use of a talking GPS system.