Long Island Center for Independent Living
3601 Hempstead Turnpike
Levittown New York 1 11756
(516) 796 0144
Joan Lynch, Executive Director
- LICIL can provide assistance to individuals in acquiring skills to become effective self-advocates to securing their legal, social, economic and civil rights.
- Assistive Products
- Equipment Loan: LICIL lends adaptive equipment (e.g., wheelchairs, walker, etc.) if your own is being repaired or is out of order. LICIL is pleased to accept donations of adaptive equipment that is in excellent condition for use as loaners to our consumers.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Hispanic Outreach Services: LICIL services are made available through culturally sensitive bilingual staff that is well-equipped to address the specific needs of member of the Hispanic community with Disabilities
- Peer Counseling or "Peer Sharing" is one of the basic principles on which Independent Living Services are based. Communicating with someone who has been through the same or similar situations and discussing how they managed, and learning to resolve disability-related problems can be invaluable. This peer relationship can be developed with a staff member with a disability or with persons with disabilities from the community who are willing to volunteer as peer counselors.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Independent Living Skills: LICIL's staff can assist you in resolving some of the basic problems that you may encounter in day-to-day living, by offering unique tips and techniques on self-care. Recommendations can be made on adaptive equipment, budgeting and household management.
- Financial Assistance
- Benefit Advisement: LICIL provides individual advice and workshop assistance on obtaining maximum benefits (SSI, Social Services, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.)
- Housing Services
- Housing Information: LICIL provides information on low-income housing listings, the Section 8 Program, housing search techniques, your rights as a disabled tenant and possible funding resources for home modifications.
- In-Home Services
- Personal Assistance referral: provides a wide range of services such as bathing, dressing, cooking, etc.
- Information and Referral
- LICIL provides information on and referral to community resources. Our Center has extensive information on adaptive products, services and current trends affecting persons with disabilities.
- Information and Referral
- Provides information on and referral to a broad range of community resources and maintains extensive data on adaptive products, specialized services and current trends affecting persons with disabilities.
- Legal Services
- Assistance with ADA compliance: LICIL provides on-site technical assistance to businesses, organizations and individuals to facilitate the elimination of architectural and communications barriers. Along with public access, the ADA protects the employment rights of the disabled. The Center's staff can assist in securing your rights under ADA
- Transportation Services
- Transportation: Limited wheelchair-accessible van transportation is available to members of LICIL. The vans provide transportation anywhere within Nassau County. Call LICIL for further information for van usage policy.