250 West 64th Street
New York New York 1 10023-6601
(212) 769 6200
Lighthouse Guild is the leading not-for-profit vision and healthcare organization, with a long-standing heritage of addressing the needs of people who are blind or visually impaired, including those with multiple disabilities or chronic medical conditions. Through the integration of vision and healthcare services and the expansion of access through education and community outreach, our innovative and comprehensive approach helps people achieve and maintain the highest possible level of function and independence.
- We engage local, state and federal policy makers to raise awareness of the need for access to vision rehabilitation services, and advocate for appropriate legislative responses to issues affecting people with vision loss.<br><br> The Arlene R. Gordon Research Institute conducts studies designed to translate scientific findings and technological advances into useful solutions for people living with vision loss.
- Assistive Products
- The Lighthouse Guild Store offers products that make day-to-day life easier for people with vision loss.
- Braille/Electronic/Audio/Large Print Production
- Lighthouse Guild’s Print Access Center: <br> <br> We convert a wide range of print materials into formats that are accessible for people who are blind or visually impaired. Services include: <br> <br> - Braille transcription by a certified braillist <br> - Recording print material in digital or audiocassette formats.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- We offer computer training at our Adaptive Technology Centers.
- Behavioral health. Our multi-disciplinary psychiatric clinic remains the only one of its kind in the country. Services include:<br><br> * Psychotherapy<br> * Psychopharmacology<br> * Crisis intervention<br> * Individual and group therapy<br> * Social services<br> * Support groups<br>
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Vision rehabilitation services help people regain function and maximize usable vision to remain safe, independent and active. Services include:<br><br> * Academic skills<br> * Adaptive computer technology<br> * Career services<br> * Independent living skills<br> * Low vision rehabilitation<br> * Orientation and mobility<br><br> Mental health day treatment helps individuals with psychiatric diagnoses remain in the community and prevents psychiatric hospitalizations.<br>
- Education Services
- Offers programs to improve the lives of children with vision impairment and other disabilities through highly specialized schools, including a school for students with multiple disabilities and the only community music school in the US for people with vision loss; the program also supports parents of children with visual impairments and scholarships for legally blind students.
- Medical services. We offer person-centered vision+healthcare services, including:<br><br> * Cardiology<br> * Diabetes care and endocrinology<br> * Mental health and psychiatry<br> * Nephrology<br> * Occupational therapy<br> * Optometry<br> * Physiatry<br> * Physical therapy<br> * Podiatry<br> * Primary care<br><br> GuildCare adult day health care services provide healthcare and recreation, and include two meals and transportation for people with vision loss as well as chronic medical conditions. Available in Albany, Buffalo, Manhattan, and Niagara Falls.<br><br> GuildNet: Offering Health Plans that provide managed long term care services for more than 18,000 people 18 and older with chronic medical conditions. A care management team works with members and their doctors to develop a plan that helps our members remain safely in their homes. <br><br> GuildNet MLTC helps people who are 18 or older and eligible for Medicaid and who have long term healthcare needs. A care management team works with you and your doctor to develop a care plan that helps you remain safely at home.<br><br> GuildNet Gold helps people 18 or older, who have both Medicare and Medicaid and have long term healthcare needs. GuildNet Gold helps people live in their own community for as long as their health permits.<br><br> GuildNet Gold Plus FIDA Plan is a managed long term care plan for people 21 or over that combines all of the benefits of Medicare and Medicaid. With this plan, your medical and home care services revolve around you and your needs, helping you live safely and comfortably in your home.<br>
- Information and Referral
- The National Association of Parents of Children with Visual Impairments (NAPVI) and our national tele-support network helps find information, locates resources, and offers tele-support groups for parents.
- Low Vision Services
- Vision rehabilitation services help people regain function and maximize usable vision to remain safe, independent and active. Services include:<br><br> * Academic skills<br> * Adaptive computer technology<br> * Career services<br> * Independent living skills<br> * Low vision rehabilitation<br> * Orientation and mobility<br>
- Professional Training
- Lighthouse Guild provides training to promote improved care and well being for blind and visually impaired people as well as those at risk. <br><br> Healthcare professional training offers online continuing education, customized workshops, observerships, clinical training and optometric residencies. Health professionals include nurses, occupational therapists, social workers, case managers, medical students, optometrists and ophthalmology residents.<br><br> Caregiver information helps caregivers across the healthcare spectrum, including those who work in hospitals, outpatient clinics, assisted living facilities, and nursing homes, to provide effective care to people with vision loss.<br>
- Support Groups
- Our national tele-support network offers free weekly tele-support groups for parents of children with:<br><br> * Albinism<br> * Retinopathy of Prematurity<br> * Cortical visual impairment<br> * Leber congenital amaurosis<br> * Autism and visual impairment<br> * Achromatopsia<br> * Hermansky Pudlak Syndrome<br> * CHARGE syndrome<br>
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- We provide orientation and mobility training.