Center for Independence
740 Gunnison Avenue
Grand Junction Colorado 1 81501
(970) 241 0315
The four core services provided by Center for Independence include personal and systems advocacy, information and referral, peer counseling and support, and independent living skills training. The basis of Center for Independence is peer relationships-people with disabilities assisting others with disabilities as role models, mentors, and advocates. Center for Independence is governed by people with disabilities and upholds the independent living philosophy that consumers have the right to self-determination, the right to live their lives independently and with dignity, to their fullest potential.
Joanne Stamp, Low Vision Program Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, 970 644 7236
Linda Taylor, Executive Director
- Community Outreach Programs
- Does needs assessment, home demonstration of devices (magnifiers, sunglasses, CCTVs) and marking of home appliances, advocacy for available resources, braille instruction and materials.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Assists businesses and individuals with information about the Americans with Disabilities Act and accessibility guidelines.
- Provides peer counseling and support services.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in independent living skills, sighted guide and mobility training.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides training in vocational skills (computers, keyboarding, resume writing, and job preparation). Assists job seekers with disabilities in using available systems that provide services and supports needed to obtain and maintain employment.
- Information and Referral
- Provides information and referral services within service region.
- Low Vision Services
- Provides low vision evaluation and follow-up.
- Recreation Services
- Organizes activities such as exercising, touring, swimming, hiking, canoeing, hay rides, bowling and various crafts.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.