Association for the Visually Impaired
260 Old Nyack Turnpike
Spring Valley New York 1 10977
(845) 574 4950
The Association for the Visually Impaired, Inc. (AVI) is a private, non-profit organization, founded in 1973, that serves blind and severely visually impaired residents of Rockland and Orange Counties in New York. Services are provided on a one-to-one basis in consumers' homes and communities. Our mission is provide rehabilitation and counseling services to enable blind and severely visually impaired individuals to retain or regain maximum independence and to continue to live in their homes and be participating members of their communities and to enable our consumers to function independently and to maximize their potential.
Beth Bate-DuBoff, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, 845 574 4950 ext.102
Jayne Malkin, Orientation and Mobility Specialist, email@example.com, 845 574 4950 ext.105
Teresa Principe, Program Administrator/TVI, firstname.lastname@example.org, 845 574 4950 ext.103
Yolanda Rihlmann, Employment Specialist, email@example.com, 845 574 4950 ext.106
- Community Outreach Programs
- Educates professionals, paraprofessionals, seniors and the general public about visual impairment and how to assist visually impaired or blind individuals.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Provides consumers access to assistive technology. <p>Demonstrations and instruction are provided regarding low vision reading systems, computer access software and speech recognition and voice controlled systems.
- Offers social evaluation, crisis intervention, individual and group counseling, referral to community services.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in personal and home management skills, daily living skills, and instruction in the use of low vision devices.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides employment placement services. Employment specialists works one on one with consumers who wish to be employed.
- Professional Training
- Offers in-service training programs to community agencies, professionals, and public education to community members. Offers internship and fieldwork placement in social work.
- Services for Seniors
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Offers training in cane and safe travel skills, use of residual vision, and navigation of home, school, community environment.