Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired-Goodwill Industries of Greater Rochester, Inc.
422 South Clinton Avenue
Rochester New York 1 14620-1198
(585) 232 1111
Founded in 1911, ABVI-Goodwill is the only not-for-profit organization in Greater Rochester providing a full range of programs, services and jobs to people who are blind or visually impaired. Its mission is to prepare and empower people who are blind or visually impaired to be self-sufficient and contribute to their families and communities.
- Business/Personal Services
- Offers shopping assistance for seniors.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers training in the use of adaptive technology for seniors.
- Facilitates peer support groups and provides therapeutic individual and group counseling.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Offers a full range of training and services for activities related to daily living and vocational rehabilitation.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides supported employment, vocational preparation, job skills training, agency-based direct-labor employment in manufacturing, food service, call center and corporate placement programs.
- Health Services
- Vision Care for Kids provides eye exams and eyeglasses for uninsured and under-insured school-age children. Acts as liaison with school health offices for referrals.
- Library Services
- Provides braille, large-print and talking book materials and other library services for people who are blind or visually impaired.
- Low Vision Devices
- Prescribes and supplies state of the art low vision devices. Items can be purchased in our conveniently located Consumer Shoppe.
- Low Vision Services
- Provides low vision evaluation and follow-up. Prescribes and supplies state of the art low vision devices. Non-optical items can be purchased at ABVI-Goodwill's Consumer Shoppe.
- Professional Training
- Offers sensitivity to blindness training for new staff, volunteers, board members and for community at large, and in-service training for professionals assisting people who are blind or visually impaired.
- Recreation Services
- Offers recreational activities for seniors.
- Services for Seniors
- Provides a comprehensive array of low vision, vision rehabilitation, and social and support services to older adults and their caregivers.
- Support Groups
- Facilitates support groups.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training including long-cane skills, public transportation, sensory development, sighted guide and street travel.