Blind Rehabilitation Service: Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center
1201 Broad Rock Blvd.
Red Clinic, Room 1-B-006 C
Richmond, VA 23249
(804) 675 5221
- Low Vision Services
- Provides low vision or vision rehabilitation examinations, prescribes low vision aids, and therapy to enhance remaining vision. Provides instruction with prescribed optical, lighting, electronic aids, and therapies, to enhance visual motor and perceptual skills for near, intermediate, and distant visual needs
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training - orientation to the environment and safe indoor/outdoor travel skills for independence at home, work or community.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Offers training in communication skills (typing, handwriting, braille, telephone use, record keeping and recording); activities of daily living (money management, grooming, cooking and meal preparation, telling time, organizational skills); and manual skills (actual abilities, simple repairs, adaptive measuring, hand tools, hobbies, crafts).
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Computer Access and Technology (CAT) evaluation and training with large print, voice output software systems, reading machines, learn office tools, scanning, E-mail, Internet access, appointment management, downloading books, IOS devices and apps for people with visual impairment.
- Adjustment to Vision Loss Assistance-supportive counseling to address the losses, stress, isolation and impact on family and relationships; Case management and resources available.
- Support Groups
- VIST Support Group.