Blind Rehabilitation Service: Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center
2002 Holcombe Blvd
Building 108 - Gym
Houston, TX 77030
(713) 794 7532
- Low Vision Services
- Low vision optometry evaluation provided by a licensed Optometrist, specializing in low vision. Assesses current eye conditions and level of visual functioning and prescribes glasses and other optical devices.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Assesses and provides individualized training in the use of adaptive techniques and devices to promote independence in daily activities.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Orientation and mobility (O&M) provided by a Certified O&M Specialist. Assess Veteranâ€™s ability to maneuver safely and independently within the home and community. Training may include: Sighted guide techniques, use of a white cane, safe traveling in the community, and use of a talking GPS system.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Computer instruction provided by an instructor who is versed in the area of adaptive technology. Assesses and provides training in the use of adaptive software that promotes independence in reading and writing with a computer.