St. Mary Low Vision Center
1055 Linden Avenue
Long Beach, CA 90813
(562) 491 9275
The Low Vision Center at St. Mary Medical Center provides free services to the Southern California Community by helping persons with limited vision use their vision to the fullest potential, and by helping them achieve the greatest degree of independence possible regardless of the extent of their visual loss.
Any individual who receives a written referral from a licensed eye care practitioner may make an appointment to be seen by an optical aids counselor.
Florence Traub, Coordinator, 562 491 9275
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Offers independent living classes on an ongoing basis and orientation and mobility training on a limited basis.
- Information and Referral
- Provides referrals to local linkage agencies. Publishes informational material for professionals and the public.
- Library Services
- Processes talking book applications.
- Low Vision Services
- Provides low vision evaluation and follow-up. Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Sponsors the National Eye Care Project to give free eye care to the elderly.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Persons expressing an interest in developing braille skills are welcome to make an appointment with the braille teacher to begin instruction.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Members of the Low Vision Center staff are available to speak on a variety of topics related to low vision. Groups and organizations should contact the Low Vision Center for further information.