South Carolina Commission for the Blind
1430 Confederate Avenue
Columbia, SC 29201
(803) 898 8764
Rhonda Thompson, Director of Older Blind & Children Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
James Kirby, Commissioner, email@example.com
Kyle Walker, Director, Consumer Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org
Otis Stevenson, Director of Business Enterprise Program
- Provides counseling and guidance.
- Employment/Job Training
- Develops and promotes opportunities for independence and employment. Trains, licenses, and places qualified blind vendors in food service facilities located in public and private buildings. Assists with transition from school to work.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Outreach units provide independent living and mobility training in localities where 8-12 persons need and are eligible for such services.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Introduces adaptive methods of performing activities of daily living. Provides independent living services for persons age 55 and over.
- Provides diagnostic and developmental assessments.
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Provides information and technical assistance to preschools, private, and public schools and agencies and organizations that work with blind individuals.
- Information and Referral
- Provides referrals to services in the community.
- Low Vision Services
- Maintains clinics in Columbia, Charleston, Florence, Spartanburg, and Waterloo offices. Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Offers free eye screenings to prevent vision loss due to diabetes and glaucoma. Assists clients with medical services that help restore sight and maintain visual functioning.