Lions Center for the Blind
Oakland, CA 94612
(510) 450 1580
Our mission is to empower and enrich the lives of the Blind and Visually Impaired Community. We provide the tools and opportunities through education and training, so those we serve may live full productive lives. We are committed to providing high quality State Certified programs, designed to promote the fullest integration into society and into the workforce.
Caleb van Docto, Director of Services
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides assessments, skills training, job development and placement.
- Professional Training
- Offers internship and supervised field work placement in orientation and mobility, social work, special education, and regular in-service training programs.
- Recreation Services
- Offers life enrichment programs, exercise, field trips, arts and crafts, hobby groups, programs for the elderly, and bowling.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides training orientation and mobility skills.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in personal skills, home management, care of clothing, eating techniques, use of telephone, money management, banking and cooking.
- Information and Referral
- Provides information to blind and visually impaired people and their families.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Provides training in reading and writing braille and use of adaptive writing aids.
- Assistive Products
- Assistance on selecting and training on the use of assistive devices. Free assistive devices for clients over 55.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Provides training, individual assessments, technical support, and work-site evaluations.
- Low Vision Services
- Low Vision devices.