Lighthouse of the Big Bend
3071 Highland Oaks Terrace
Tallahassee, FL 32301
(850) 942 3658
Lighthouse of the Big Bend (formerly FIRE) is a nonprofit agency dedicated to assisting people who are visually impaired or blind to achieve a maximum level of independence in their lives. Free services are provided on an outreach (one on one) or group basis and are provided without charge, without regard to individual or family income level, race, creed, age, disability or national origin.
Lighthouse of the Big Bend serves eleven counties including Franklin, Gadsden, Hamilton, Jefferson, Lafayette, Leon, Liberty, Madison, Suwannee, Taylor and Wakulla.
Kim GalbÃ¡n-Countryman, MPA, Executive Director, email@example.com
Wayne Warner, Director of Adult Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jennifer Crowder, Early Intervention Specialist, email@example.com
Sharon Scherbarth, Youth Programs/ Orientation & Mobility Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Offers social evaluation; counseling for individual/group/couples; and support groups.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides independent living skills, social skills, employment skills and computer training at home or job site.
- Recreation Services
- Offers hobby groups and special programs for the elderly.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in daily living and communication skills.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.
- Support Groups
- Offers support groups.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers beginning and Grade 2 braille classes.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Whether you need screen enlargement or speech access to your computer, the Lighthouse can teach you about adaptive computer software. Learn keyboard skills, Internet access, email, word processing and spreadsheet skills. Individual instruction or small classes are offered on a variety of computer programs. The Lighthouse facility also has an employment computer lab.