Miami Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired, Inc.
601 SW 8th Avenue
Miami, FL 33130
(305) 856 2288
The mission of the Miami Lighthouse is to provide vision rehabilitation and eye health services that promote independence, to educate professionals and to conduct research in related fields. Established in 1931, Miami Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired is the oldest and largest private agency in Florida to serve people of all ages who are blind or the visually impaired.
Adult Services are designed to enable blind and visually impaired individuals to regain independent living skills, allowing them to maintain meaningful roles in their family, community, work and/or school. All classes are available in English, Spanish and Creole. Instruction and training at work and in the home is also provided to ensure practical skill use in everyday situations. Clients meet with a counselor or social worker and are orientated within a small group class to discuss available classes and services. We emphasize using oneâ€™s own life experiences to regain skills using remaining vision and other senses. Social workers act as advocates, information providers and teach the skill of self-advocacy.
Carol Brady-Simmons, Chief Program Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org, 786 362 7480 ext.7480
Virginia A. Jacko, President & CEO, email@example.com, 305 856 2288 ext.245
Corina Hernandez, Senior Case Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, 786 362 7445 ext.7445
Isabel Chica, Manager of Children's Programs, email@example.com, 786 362 7482 ext.7482
John Garcia, Manager of Vision Solutions, firstname.lastname@example.org, 786 362 7489 ext.7489
- Individual counseling and support groups for visually impaired people and their families, parents, and spouses. Referrals to community services.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides pre-vocational evaluation and career and skill counseling. Refers to other agencies for employment-oriented services. Provides Works in conjunction with other training programs for additional software training and placement.
- Recreation Services
- Exposure to different hands-on-projects, the development and refinement of fine motor skills and memory skills are enhanced. We offer arts and crafts activities and special programs for seniors such as MacramÃ©, ceramics, painting, and jewelry making. We provide special field trips, picnics and an opportunity to socialize.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in braille, personal management and home management skills. Provides sensory training in client's home and community. Provides training in daily living, low vision, and communication skills and training in the use of adaptive devices for elderly individuals.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- State of the art computer labs with the latest technology providing one-on-one and group instruction in access to technology and vocational preparation.
- Information and Referral
- We provide information and referrals to individuals in our community in need of services.
- Assistive Products
- Distributes assistive devices and appliances. Products are for sale on site in our Vision Solutions Center. We offer training in the use of adaptive devices for low vision individuals.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training by Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Provides training in braille, gesticulation, handwriting, listening, and typing skills.
- Low Vision Services
- Low Vision Rehabilitation may help a person to lead an active lifestyle and maintain independence. The Miami Lighthouse low vision therapist and certified dispensing optician will demonstrate a full range of products from magnifiers, lamps, daily living aids to video magnifiers (cctvâ€™s) and screen magnification for those who are computer savvy. This demonstration is hands-on to assist you in maximizing your remaining vision through training, magnification, lighting and glare control.