Catholic Guild for the Blind
1011 First Avenue, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10022
(212) 371 1000 ext: 2097
A department of Catholic Charities Community Services of the Archdiocese of New York.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in personal care, meal management, financial management and home management, and adaptive communication skills.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Certified Instructors provides orientation and mobility training. Training includes and not limited to: use of long cane and support cane, travel in unfamiliar environments, movement in home surroundings and use of public transportation.
- Information and Referral
- Provides referrals to low vision services. Referrals to social service agencies including programs offered through Catholic Charities Community Services.
- Education Services
- Academic Services include teaching English to speakers of other languages (ESOL), preparation for and testing site for adults taking the high school equivalency exam, and college preparation.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Computer training using assistive technology such as JAWS (screen reader software), and ZOOM TEXT(magnification software). Provides training in Microsoft Office Suite,Internet searches and other training as needed. Classes to become a certified A+ Computer Support Technician and prepare for the CompTIA exam.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Instruction in Braille for adult learners for employment and academics.
- Employment/Job Training
- Classes in work readiness and soft skills needed to succeed in employment, resume writing and job placement services.
- Support Groups
- Offers group counseling for Spanish speakers.