CNIB Foundation: Alberta/NWT Division
11150 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5K 0C7
(780) 488 4871
Andrew Galster, Executive Director, Andrew.Galster@cnib.ca
- CNIB staff provide professional low-vision assesments in order to understand each person's condition and develop an effective course of action.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Computer training courses in Windows, Internet and E-mail, Microsoft Office and adaptive technology are available to all age groups.
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Available to professionals working with individuals living with vision loss.
- Counseling services available.
- Employment/Job Training
- Offers employment counseling, career development, referral to on-the-job training.
- Information and Referral
- Provides information and referral services to CNIB programs and external community resources.
- Library Services
- Provides library services for Canadians living with vision loss.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Has a summer reading program.
- Reading Services
- Provides volunteers for home-based reading services of local or other newspapers.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Provides deaf-blind outreach services.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides vocational rehabilitation, sight enhancement, training in the use of assistive technologies.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides training in how to safe travel safely and independently in familiar and unfamiliar environments. Some of the skills taught by a professional instructor include sighted guide techniques, white cane skills, street crossings, using public transit, sensory development, using cardinal directions, and using optical aids for mobility.
- Assistive Products
- Through CNIB, Canadians have access to rehabilitation counseling and training, innovative consumer products, peer support and one of the world's largest libraries for people with print disabilities.