Southern Tier Association for the Visually Impaired
719 Lake Street
Elmira, NY 14901
(607) 734 1554
The Southern Tier Association for the Visually Impaired (STAVI) has been serving the local blind and visually impaired community for over 75 years, providing support, employment, and rehabilitation services to Chemung, Schuyler, and Steuben Counties.
Timothy Hertlein, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, 607 734 1554 ext.205
Ryan Benjamin, Rehabilitation Service Coordinator, email@example.com
- Offers public education and in-service training, peer support groups.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides referrals to CBVH & VESID.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides rehabilitation teaching, evaluation and training services. Rehabilitative Services are provided by our trained rehabilitation specialist in the setting of your own home if you live in Chemung, Schuyler, or Steuben Counties.
- Low Vision Services
- Provides clinical and in-home follow-up. Prescribes and supplies low vision devices. The Arthur P. Darling Centers for Low Vision provide specialized services to improve visual function in patients with significant vision loss. A low vision specialist will evaluate the degree of functional vision and prescribe the most effective optical device.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility, evaluation and training.
- Braille/Electronic/Audio/Large Print Production
- Translates to braille from Word and WordPerfect documents.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Offers in-service program/education and outreach.
- Support Groups
- Support Groups assist those with visual impairments and blindness by helping them meet with others who are experiencing similar struggles.