Lighthouse of Houston
3602 West Dallas Avenue
Houston, TX 77019-0435
(713) 527 9561
The Lighthouse of Houston is a private, nonprofit education and service center dedicated to assisting blind and visually impaired people to live independently. It offers a variety of educational programs, community services. and outpatient rehabilitation for people who are blind and visually impaired.
Gibson DuTerroil, President, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shelagh Moran, Vice President, COO, email@example.com, 713 284 8490
Chelean Zander, Vice President, Community Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org, 713 284 8494
Ian Sangree, Sr. Adaptive Technology Specialist, email@example.com, 713 284 8430
Ana Perez, Low Vision Diplomate, firstname.lastname@example.org, 713 284 8480
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides vocational assessments and training, and employment skills development. Offers instruction in medical transcription, word processing, clerical skills, and computer programming. Educates blind and visually impaired individuals to compete for employment in areas such as medical transcription, switchboard operation, customer service, and clerical support. Offers distance training program for medical transcription.
- Professional Training
- Offers internships in rehabilitation, orientation and mobility, therapeutic recreation.
- Recreation Services
- Offers art and cooking classes, monthly tandem bike rides, field trips and other fun activities. Provides recreation groups for the elderly.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in personal management and independent living skills. Provides residential services for deaf-blind adults. Provides independent living options and skills training for those with vision loss, and 24-hour assistance and skills training for the deaf-blind and multihandicapped.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Provides computer evaluation and training on-site, in-home and at Computer Learning Center.
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Provides comprehensive on-site and off-site consultation services.
- Information and Referral
- Provides information and referral to other resources. Offers specialized programs that combine clinical expertise with education to inform individuals about the causes of and treatment of vision loss.
- Library Services
- Maintains a library of descriptive and audio videos.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers ABE-GED, computer literacy, braille instruction, ESL.
- Low Vision Services
- Maintains a full-service clinic. Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Assistive Products
- Sells adaptive aids such as talking clocks, braille watches, mobility canes, and hundreds of other items. Products are available at Reflections, The Lighthouse store, by telephone, or online at www.houstonlighthouse.org. Second Sight sells refurbished or gently used adaptive equipment. Catalog available on our website houstonlighthouse.org.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.
- Diabetes Education Program recognized by American Diabetes Association
- In-Home Services
- Home visitor program links individuals with volunteers to assist with reading the mail, transportation to the doctor or grocery store.
- Transportation Services
- Licensed Adult Day Health Care Program at two locations offer transportation M-F to enrolled clients to participate in art, exercise, cooking, and games classes and monthly fieldtrips. Registered Nurse on-site provides health screening and monitoring.
- Support Groups
- Offers support groups to benefit anyone in the community dealing with vision loss.