Cincinnati Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired
2045 Gilbert Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45202-1490
(513) 221 8558
Cincinnati Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CABVI) is a private, not-for-profit organization with a long and respected tradition of offering comprehensive services to people who are blind or visually impaired. CABVI offers community-based rehabilitation services for individuals who are blind or visually impaired.
Dave Bush, Vice President of Vision Services, firstname.lastname@example.org, 513 221 8558 ext.210
- Provides individualized assessment; individual counseling and support groups.
- Professional Training
- Offers internships and field work placements in orientation and mobility, rehabilitation teaching, social work
- Recreation Services
- Offers arts and crafts activities as part of rehabilitation teaching. Refers and provides consultation to other agencies for other recreation services.
- Initial assessments are provided in order to plan for services. Then specific assessments provided in all areas, including low vision, O&M, access technology, and vision rehabilitation therapy.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Provides individualized evaluation, instruction and consultation on state-of-the-art adaptive technology, including computers, tablets, smart phones, and other devices.
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Provides consultations for businesses wishing to employ blind or visually impaired persons.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides industrial employment, producing items sold primarily to government entities, such as tape products and rolled paper, kitchen gadgets, dining packets. Provides training for jobs in machine operation, light assembly, packaging, and quality control. Communication Center training with state sponsorship. Operates Base Supply Center in Dayton, Ohio and Contract Management Service in Columbus Ohio. Participates in National Industries for the Blind program.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides one-on-one instruction in communication skills (braille, typing, handwriting), home management skills (cooking, cleaning, and other skills), and personal management skills (grooming, money management, medications, clothing). Service provided in person's home or at the agency. Group services offered periodically.
- Reading Services
- Operates WRRS, which provides audio access to local and selected national newspapers and magazines. Personalized Talking Print (PTP) allows access from touch-tone phones, any time, for news stories and magazine articles. Talking Book Machine distributor for Hamilton and Clermont Counties in Ohio.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides evaluation and instruction in proven orientation and mobility techniques; instruction provided for home, school, work, or other destinations.
- Information and Referral
- Provides information by telephone, in person, by mail or though the Internet. Telephone staffed daily by experienced social workers. Refers for health services.
- Low Vision Services
- Provides evaluation and instruction in the use of prescribed low vision devices and techniques to use remaining vision more effectively. Low vision devices provided for trial period. Includes video magnifiers and over 200 different low vision aids; services provided at main office and in Butler,Warren, and Clermont County Ohio satellite centers. Satellite also in Florence, Kentucky.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Grade I & Grade II braille; instruction in use of braille computer devices.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Provides speakers for commmunity groups and displays about agency services/inservices for community facilties when requested.
- Services for Students
- Services provided include orientation and mobility, low vision, computer access and rehabilitation teaching.
- Support Groups
- Support groups both at the agency and in the community are held at set times during the year.
- Volunteer Services
- Volunteers provide one-on-one assistance with reading, shopping, other activities; transportation, visiting/companionship.