AVRE (Association for Vision Rehabilitation and Employment, Inc.)
174 Court Street
Binghamton, NY 13901
(607) 724 2428
The Association for Vision Rehabilitation and Employment, Inc. (A.V.R.E.) is a private, non-profit organization that serves people with vision disabilities. People of all ages, from infants to elders, can and do benefit from A.V.R.E. services. A.V.R.E. offers a range of learning, living, and working options for people who have a vision disability.
A.V.R.E. lives its mission by engaging and employing individuals with sustained vision loss at all levels of the organization and acts as a model for the community.
A.V.R.E.â€™s Senior Vision Services program is designed for people 55 and older who have developed severe vision loss. Specialists who understand the special issues of older people with vision impairment staff the program. A person does not have to be legally blind to receive the services, but the vision loss needs to be severe. The services offered through this program include travel training for orientation and mobility, rehabilitation therapy for independence and communications, a low vision center, a retail store, and employment assistance. An additional component is peer groups; through these groups seniors can meet other people in similar situations. Older people with vision loss now know they are not alone and can share problems and solutions. These groups can include discussions, speakers, training and many other things depending on what the people in the group would like.
Ken Fernald, President and CEO, firstname.lastname@example.org
Teri Chamberlin, Director, Health and Rehabilitation Services, 607 724 2428
John Ellzey, Assistive Technology Instructor
Beth Jurco, O&M Specialist
Steve Connors, O&M Specialist
Diane McMillan, Manager, Low Vision Clinic & Children's Services
- Offers individual, family/parent counseling, information and referral to community services, and training on accessing the community.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides job assessment, counseling, training and placement both within the organization and in the community.
- Recreation Services
- Offers special recreational programs and support groups for adolescent/youths to seniors.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in personal management skills. Offers training in the use of adaptive equipment. Provides training in skills for independence in the home and community.
- Provides skill assessment, orientation and mobility assessment.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Provides guidance in choosing appropriate devices and provides training in their use.
- Assistive Products
- Sells assistive devices and appliances.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers braille instruction.
- In-Home Services
- Provides family/caregiver services.
- Low Vision Services
- Offers low vision services.
- Information and Referral
- Refers to other programs for seniors.
- Support Groups
- Has a support group for seniors.