Organization: National Industries for the Blind
Statement of Purpose
Assists the VP-Finance with the financial affairs of the organization. This includes preparation of interim financial statements, external reporting, financial analysis, and audit planning and management.
Responsibility for the Work of Others
Oversees the work of two Assistant Controllers and the ERP Support Analyst.
CPA required. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required.
Training and Specialized Knowledge
• Proven ability to manage a diverse staff and interact with all levels of the organization
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
• Ability to multi-task
• Demonstrated problem-solving, crisis management and facilitation skills
• Ability to maintain effectiveness in various environments, with various tasks, responsibilities and people, and ability to work as an effective member of a team
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Significant experience with enterprise level accounting software programs
• Experience in a government contract accounting environment a plus
• Experience in an E-commerce accounting environment a plus
• Communication Skills
• Ethics / Integrity
• Customer Care
• Job Knowledge/Technical Skills
• Process Improvement
• Decision Making
• Judgment and Problem Solving
• Seven (7) years public, private, or non-profit accounting experience
• Three (3) years managerial experience with 3 or more direct reports
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
• Oversees the financial activities of NIB and its related organizations, including general accounting, fixed assets, accounts payable, accounts receivable, collections, sales reporting and financial reporting.
• Maintains the general ledger, including review and reconciliation of all accounts to ensure accuracy and compliance with organization policies.
• Identifies and resolves problems and inconsistencies both within finance and accounting and throughout the organization and recommends appropriate corrective procedures.
• Supervises the annual audit process and participates in preparing audit materials requiring analyses of supporting documents.
• Prepares Federal, state, and local tax and information returns.
• Prepares regulatory reports and other filings related to the AbilityOne Program.
• Recommends, develops, and implements accounting policies and procedures sufficient to maintain a strong internal control environment in accordance with GAAP.
• Actively participates in continuous process improvement initiatives both within finance and accounting and throughout the organization.
• Provides expense reporting to department heads, and ensures data is timely and accurate.
• Communicates and coordinates accounting policies, practices, and procedures with department and company managers and officials, vendors, reporting agencies, clients, customers, and the public.
• Determines work procedures, prepares work schedules, and expedites workflow.
• Recommends accounting controls throughout the institution and works closely with other operating departments.
• Assists the VP-Finance with special projects, and other duties as assigned.
This job description does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The incumbent in this position will perform such other tasks as may be required for the effective operation of the Division/Department upon the request by his/her supervisor.
NIB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.