Organization: National Industries for the Blind
Statement of Purpose
To create new jobs for people who are blind through the marketing of nonprofit agencies’ capabilities and the innovative application of new technology toward meeting the needs of federal agencies. This will be accomplished by assisting nonprofit agencies in the development and addition of projects to the procurement list and resolving significant problems that arise in providing products to federal agencies.
Responsibility for the Work of Others
Assigns and reviews work, and coordinates activities of other NIB staff involved in project development. May be required to serve as program/project manager for products under development.
• Employees in Other Divisions Continually
• Supervisory Personnel Continually
• NIB Associated Agencies Continually
• Federal and/or State Government Agencies Continually
• Private Sector Business Frequently
Bachelor’s degree required from an accredited college/university or equivalent work experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience is also acceptable.
Training and Specialized Knowledge
Must have an understanding and in-depth knowledge of the procedures followed by Federal Government Agencies in purchasing and stocking supplies and in evaluating products required.
• Communication Skills
• Ethics / Integrity
• Customer Care
• Job Knowledge/ Technical Skills
• Process Improvement
Minimum six (6) years of work experience, or 2 years in procurement of products by the Government or as an Associate Product Development Specialist required. Experience required as program/project manager of products or product line procured by the Government.
As necessary to coordinate activities related to the addition of items to the Procurement List. This includes visits to requiring/buying agencies, nonprofit agencies, and raw material suppliers when required. Job related travel is approximately 5%.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
• Works with federal agencies and nonprofit agencies to develop new projects for addition to the Procurement List.
• Works with Federal Agencies, nonprofit agencies and AbilityOne Commission as needed to resolve problems associated with nonprofit agencies providing projects to the Government under the AbilityOne program.
• Manages the timelines for multiple projects in development by the Office Products PM and the Jan-San PM, works with PMs, Engineers, NPAs and Pricing Analyst to establish realistic milestones for project completions. Tracks progress and ensures timelines are met.
• Requests procurement data and standard samples of candidate items.
• Provides data to development team and nonprofit agency after obtaining coordination on which nonprofit agency to assign the project for development study.
• Maintains liaison for the evaluation of procurement information with the development team and other departments.
• Researches impact on incumbent supplier on the loss of business resulting from the addition of a project to the Procurement List.
• Requests production facility review be conducted after obtaining coordination of Development Engineer.
• Prepares justification for the addition of projects to the Procurement List and maintains close coordination with the AbilityOne Commission during the Vote Letter preparation phase of the addition process.
• Markets capabilities of nonprofit agencies and NIB to contracting activities based on the requirements, needs, programs and initiatives of the contracting activities, as required.
• Educates contracting activities and nonprofit agencies about procurement under the AbilityOne Program, as required.
• Educates and mentors nonprofit agencies on all aspects of Government products. Participates in conducting training programs and orientation for nonprofit agencies and NIB Staff in the area of products.
• Monitors changes, or proposed changes, to AbilityOne Commission’s policies and procedures to identify, analyze and make recommendations concerning potential impact on blind workers, nonprofit agencies and/or NIB. Communicates any changes to team members and NPAs
• Maintains weekly reports on status of project development, provision of products on the Procurement List and general accomplishments and problems in area of project development.
• Maintains all records and databases by using PLIMS, IS and ADS (internal program systems). Daily inputs and reports input required. Ensure project status comments are maintained and kept up to date in ADS to ensure CEO Development List is accurate.
• Maintains liaison with AbilityOne Commission staff on all aspects of the AbilityOne process.
• Utilize ADS, IS and other enterprise software systems to effectively perform job tasks.
• Post Procurement List support as required.
This job description does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The incumbent in this position will perform such other tasks as may be required for the effective operation of the Division/Department upon the request by his/her supervisor.
NIB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.