Organization: South Texas Lighthouse for the Blind
Perform a variety of warehousing and labor tasks including movement and storage of materials, loading and unloading material (containers, pallets, etc.), basic repair and reuse of containers, issuing supplies, inventory control, executing container orders, etc. Operates vehicle component Material Handling Equipment (MHE), as required (pallet jack, forklifts, etc.).
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Load and unload containers and material
2. Secures containers and materials against inclement weather, pilferage, and damage
3. Receives, stores, and issues materials
4. Sorts, stores, and counts incoming containers (provide count to Material Coordinator); move all incoming containers to Container Reclamation sorting area at Bldg. 1869; where applicable, verify receipt of items on requisitions, or invoice
5. Examines stock to verify conformance to standards and specifications.
6. Executes orders and issues supplies from stock
7. Stores and manages low-level hazardous consumable supplies (paint, glue, etc.) in support of the LLRC, metal drum, wood and fiberboard reclamation services
8. Maintain hazardous materials fireproof locker and Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and HAZMAT checkout binder/sheets for all on-site hazardous material
9. Prepares periodic special or perpetual inventory of stock; requisitions articles to fill incoming orders
10. Compiles reports on use of stock handling equipment, adjustments of inventory counts and stock records, spoilage of or damage to stock, location changes, and refusals of shipments
11. Identifies palletizes/wraps, stores applicable DRMO containers and advises Material Coordinator when DRMO is ready for processing; opens/verifies empty and disposes all non-NSN containers; cuts/breaks apart DRMO subject wood packing material and disposes in trash dumpster
12. Performs basic tasks associated with basic repair and cleaning of containers such as removing shipping labels, scraping/removing rust, painting, etc.
13. Ensures work area is orderly and free of trip hazards and all other hazards that blind labor employees may not see
14. Competes all associated inspection paperwork for assigned forklifts (preventive maintenance checks and services (PMCS) checklist etc.)
15. Removes and delivers to designated areas all containers and materials not associated with Container Reclamation (wood trays, etc.)
16. Ensures work areas are wiped down and swept before the end of each work day
17. Performs other job duties as assigned
1. Must be able to pass criteria for military base access
2. Three (3) years of warehouse and inventory control experience preferred
3. Good communication and organizational skills
4. Use pallet jacks and hand trucks
5. Lift up to 75 lbs.
6. Must be able to work with tools (scraper, wrench, socket, etc.)
7. Must be to stand long periods of time (8 – 10 hours/day)
8. Must be able to tolerate non-climate controlled hot and cold work environment
9.Current state driver’s license and proof of insurability
STLB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age or any other protected characteristic.